Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I've just arrived at the Ayers Rock resort from Alice Springs. I said goodbye to my roomates (a gecko and a cockroach and made a hasty exit from the magpie that enjoys attacking me at the pool) and headed on my fly-infested flight to Uluru. We were only in the air for about 30 minutes and were following the path of a lone highway the whole way, just a thread of red dust through a surprisingly green landscape. I stared out my window looking for a glimpse of a red ovoid shape through the pin-size trees, keeping my eye out for a small bump in the ground incase my sense of scale was all wrong. It was. I only needed to turn and try to see through the windows the other side of the plane to realise the window was entirely full of a view of orange rock. Dammit, i chose a window seat on the wrong side of the plane. Fortunately the plane took an alarmingly steep turn before its last approach and a massive grin crept across my face in sync (sp?) with the view of the Olgas just creeping into my window view. They're even bigger than Uluru which came in view just before dipping below a green hill as we touched down. I've heard from so many people that you ashould take photos of Uluru every 5 minutes to capture the changes in colour and shade. I'm booked on a sunset tour tonight for such an event, but i got a small taster of how it changes at different angles just from my airport arrival. From the plane it appeared orange but at ground level it appears almost purple. It's clouding over at the moment, just 2 hours before my tour, and i am secretly hoping for a storm with my fingers crossed that i may enjoy the rare sight of waterfalls cascading down the crevices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home