Sunday, May 21, 2006

I have an amazing ability to always find the slowest internet in town. Maybe they gear up their computers here to match the easy going pace of life? This is my first night in Queenstown, in a delightful hostel with people who have mastered the skill conversation, unlike the YHA i endured in Wellington that seemed to be filled with screeching schoolkids. Shudder.
Queenstown is GORGEOUS. I feel like i'm in Canada again, and am anxiously searching for any sign of nordic skiing. The flights from Wellington through Christchurch to Queenstown were amazing, and i was able to gleefully tick off that i had sort-of-seen all these towns down the coast that i had skanked. I've been travelling all over the place the last few days, my routes matching the scatterbrain state of my decision making. All in all, i am amazed at the sights i have seen from coach, ferry and plane. New Zealand rocks.
Highlight of my journey from south to north: passing Blenheim's "Emergency Power Facility" (a fenced yard containing a heaped pile of what looked like driftwood)
Highlight of my journey north to south: boarding a propeller plane in which one engine had to be jumped started before we got on our way.

2 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Caroline,

NZ is certaintly turning out to be different to what you planned and expected. I like the idea of jump starting an aircraft. Did you have to get out and push?

Enjoy Queenstown - which I eventually found on the map - and enjoy Nelson again.

Dad

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Caroline!
I can't believe you've been skydiving! It must have been so cool!
I have fond memories of us screaming as we were launched up the harbour tower in Vancouver (and the Space Needle, and the Grouse Mountain cable car!), so I am in awe of your bravery. Any plans to bungee jump?
Take care and keep having fun
Lots of love
Laura/Cheezie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home